20100602

descriptum52. Milano

state> good
soundtrack> Riccardo Cocciante - ti amo ancora di piu

I'm back. I arrived home on Monday, on a late rainy evening, after a 2 hours flight from Bergamo.

Before anything else, I want to say that this is the third time I traveled to Italy. I did it for the first time in 2002 and for the second in 2005. I always visited the north of the country and I always passed through Milano; I was always part of a group. I was delighted every time. This time, too. It is my belief that you cannot speak about enthusiasm when going to a place you've already seen before, but it is something like saying "hello" to an old friend if you enjoyed your first visit.

I guess I will not be able to squeeze everything I would like to in a single post, so there will probably be more posts about this short and rather dense travel. I'll try to accompany my words with suitable photos and I'll try to avoid the usual non-sense about "my flight was OK", "the sun was shining" and "in Italy they eat pizza".

So, let's go. This post, about Milano.

If in 2002 I visited Milano and Venezia and in 2005 I visited Milano and a wonderful little city called Cita di Soave, now I visited Milano and Monza. With a short exit to Lugano, in Ticino, Switzerland. It mattered, because it provided me with material for comparisons.

This time, I am rather firmly convinced I had the best tour of Milano so far.

I passed through:
- the Sforzesco palace (Castello Sforzesco);

- Via Dante;

- the Biblioteca (and Pinacoteca) Ambrosiana. Unfortunately for my memories, no picture taking was allowed during our tour. But, putting that aside, I was really impressed by some paintings of Botticelli, Tiziano, a sketch of Michelangelo and, of course, by the books themselves. Including lots of sketches written by the very hand of Leonardo da Vinci - the famous Codex Atlanticus. I am sorry I only visited the library for the first time. It is a must-see;

- the Dome, of course;

- the commercial galleries (galleria Vittorio Emmanuele II);

- the Scala (Teatro alla Scala). I still hope one day I'll have the possibility to attend an opera there.

As a sort of a conclusion, I'd say these are the best known parts of Milano. They are definitely not the only ones, and I am aware that my image of Milano is very incomplete. After all, for a man Milano means first of all Inter and AC Milan, and for a women it means fashion. As for me, I'm not quite the usual football fan, nor am I very interested about what to wear. I guess I can confess that for me Milano is more about history, culture and people. And perhaps, a little, Italian cuisine :)

With love,

No comments: